John Durbin

Default Clean Power?

Um, that's actually Robert ZEFF, as in founder and chief engineer of
Zapco for many years, and now head of his own consulting firm, Nikola
Design... Zed Audio is owned by Steven Mantz, and is the company that
built (builds? not sure these days) HiFonics amps and the ESX pieces you
mention. The names Zed and Zeff may sound similar but these two guys
have VERY different philosophy on amplifiers in my experience...

JD

Captain Howdy wrote:

Honestly, I don't know. ESX amps are fairly cheap for what they deliver. I
have never used one myself, but Robert Zed's gear has never disappointed me
yet, I've always liked his early HiFonics gear.

Why would I want to do that? That's awfully messy. Can you seriously
provide another alternative? I don't know of any other unit that would have
done what I wanted for a lower price.

Well maybe when used on tweeters or mids there is nothing wrong with Jensen,
but powering subwoofers they sound crappy and if you get silly enough to run
one at two ohms, you might get 30 minutes out of it, if lucky before it goes
thermo. It seems that you are looking at the amp's specs and over looking the
real test. Fire up a Jensen and check it out for yourself compared to say your
ESX. If you still disagree, I'll trade you my Jensen for your ESX and I'll
even go as far as throwing in a free profile amp for wasting your time.

By the way, what's wrong with Jensen amplifiers? Carsound.com seemed rather
impressed with them. Their distortion content was lower than the Zapco they
tested (not that it matters anyway, because humans can't tell the difference
between 0.05% and 0.2% THD anyway).