Posted to rec.audio.tech
Industrial One Industrial One is offline

Default What is the best clipped peak restoration tool?

Ok, since DJ Pierce is one of the credible, smart posters around here
that has been useful before, I'll try to make my post more
intelligent.

I need a tool that will significantly reduce clipping if it can't
completely remove it. I'm aware that a lost signal can't be accurately
restored, but if we can estimate the amount of overdriven decibels
from the width of the clip, perhaps an algorithm could extrapolate the
lost signal from the existing samples before the beginning of the
clipped samples? Something to turn http://i38.tinypic.com/5juvt1.png
into http://i35.tinypic.com/2agowg5.png instead of http://i34.tinypic.com/33epyjk.png.