Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default subwoofer different make to monitors?

tommy banana wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:
wrote:

could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer with a pair of
more expensive higher quality monitors?

Sure. But if it's crap it's crap. Whatever the label on it.

Some folks will argue that sometimes you want a system that sounds like
crap, for check mix purposes. I don't personally work that way, but I
have seen people do it and get good results.

Thanks for all the replies. Very useful.
Hus sound interesting.....

Whatever you do, get a real crossover. If you're allowing the mains to run
full-range (like some people do), you're missing most of the benefit of a
sub. Some powered subwoofers have real crossovers with adjustable filters,
but most don't. There's no reason not to use an outboard one, though.