Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default subwoofer different make to monitors?

tommy banana wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"tommy banana" wrote ...
could I use a different make ( ie cheaper) sub woofer
with a pair of more expensive higher quality monitors?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of facts not in evidence.
We don't have a clue what kind of speakers or subs
you are considering, and particularly whether any of
them are active or passive, etc. etc. etc.

was considering quested s6 (active) with a sub from say blue sky?

Do you have the Questeds in the room right now? If so, what does it
sound like and what numbers do you get on a simple swept-sine measurement?

I believe the Blue Sky doesn't go all that low, really, and is intended
to cross over kind of high. It also has an integral crossover which you
will be paying money for but won't be able to use.

I'd suggest looking at the Hsu Research sub. It's not very expensive,
and it won't go super-loud, but it should be a decent mate to the
Questeds. You will need an amp and crossover for it.