Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default HD Vinyl - WTF?

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote: " I can already cut discs louder than anyone
can play back. "

Not that there'd be any point to it, or
with doing the same to CD.

Sure there is. Cutting with wider excursion doesn't necessarily give you
any added distortion. The thing about the LP is that, unlike with the CD,
there is no actual reference level and although there are hard limits on
excursion due to the design of the cutter, there are many other limits that
prevent you from coming near them most of the time.

In most cases it's the playback system that limits things; there is no reason
to cut a disc that can't be played back without skipping. But I would be
willing to cut a lot hotter transients on a disc intended for the audiophile
market than for one intended for playback on jukeboxes.