Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck[_2_] Peter Wieck[_2_] is offline

Default Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 300

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**MF products are seriously dodgy. The Nuvistor valve used in all MF
Nuvista products ceased production in the mid-1960s. Now, I will
certainly acknowledge that some MF products sound pretty good. That
includes some Nuvista amplifiers. However, IMO, there are better, more
honest products available. None are branded MF. I reckon you do better.

True, but a set of four (4) Nuvistors for this amp may be had for $60 these days. Not cheap, but not outrageous either given the price for boutique components.

That being written, there are many reasonable alternatives to MF products such that unless one has silly money to be burnt immediately, the MF is not a good idea.

Howard, I will keep an eye out for a 70s/80s US-made brute-force amp for you. If I find one, I will let you know. Likely it would be cost-of-shipping as I come across this stuff not-working for little or nothing. And the failure modes are typically maintenance/physical damage related, not electronic failures.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA