Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Store PA Backgd Music Adjustment

April 2015:

We had since switched managers with another branch of our store
chain(something my employer does every 6-12 months it turns out).
This manager kept the music at a more normal level.

I came into work and the music sounded somehow *different*. A couple
weeks later, the telecommunications expert and chief trouble-shooter for
the American Telegraph and Telepheeun compagnie came in to do some
rewiring, and the server rrim door was left open while he was going
around the store snaking new wires. I thusly got a look at what was a new
music brain-box on top of the mixer-amp.

This new box was slim, plain black rectangular, with one blue indicator
LED indicating it was alive and functioning ok. But what really caught my
eye was the position the amp's 'CD/AUX' volume knob was set at: 11-12 o'clock,
but the volume in-store was just right! For heaven knows what purpose, the
Treble knob was fully clock-wise(I had set both Bass & Treble set both to
1 o'cock during a previous visit when the door was not fully closed by a
manager one day). I returned Treble to 1 oclock, and the sound was
perfect, if only slightly louder than I would have set it.

My point is, this new music modem was set to feed a proper level to
the store's main mixer-amp, unlike the old one which was so hot the
Aux pot had to be kept below 8 oclock, lest we blast the speakers out
of the ceiling!

Now if we could do something about the MUSIC! Major major decade
creep: Old service played music from 1960s - 2013; the new one,
1980 to present with only one or two 1970s hits per day! And a lot
of stuff I would play in a club at peak crowd, but never in a retail
environment! Bummer..

At least it sounds better.