Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Store PA Backgd Music Adjustment

On Monday, July 7, 2014 8:58:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 6, 2014 6:27:41 PM UTC-4, David Martel wrote:

Rocks,

It does sound as if something is out of adjustment. Your mission, I'm

afraid, is to convince the manager that he needs to have someone adjust the

unit.

If you can arrange an "after-hours" demo using your equipment to

demonstrate the possible problem then the manager may see that the equipment

may need some adjustment.

You're in retail so sell this adjustment.

Dave M.

Thx for the encouragement!

It's simple gain staging. Whatever is feeding the music(a pc or standalone satellite subscription box) is too hot. It just needs to be turned down so the corresponding level knob on the main amp/mixer(Aux) can be operated in a useful range.

Another problem, as mentioned before, are the spots that break in every 10-15 minutes "Welcome to our store" "look for specially marked tags for half off this week". I don't know if those are fed from a separate source or handled by the same source that pipes in the music.

I visited our stores in neighboring towns and they all have the music at a much more listenable(but not intrusive) level.

If I keep mentioning it I know this otherwise quiet, mild-mannered manager will get hissy, so I've given up.

As I pointed out before there is almost always individual level adjustments on the back of multi-channel commercial amps for the purposes of dealing with the different input levels. Sometimes you need a flat head screw driver. Next time you are working and the "boss" is not, look.