Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:26:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
james wrote: "probably had an 8-track player somewhere back in the past, why aren't you still using that? Point is your main receiver broke. It was pretty old. That was the point where you might have looked around at the state of things. Then you could have gotten something that handles the new surround sound formats, is compatible with other more modern devices, has hdmi, etc. Instead you went and found another old receiver. And even after others pointed out that those jvc's were not all that well engineered you got another jvc. I'm guessing for a lot of your life that's not the reaction you would have had or we'd be talking about some old two channel system. "

For your information I blew out the center on my original 515. Either I drove it too hard or disconnected something before turning down the receiver volume.

As far as modern surround, formats goes, got plenty of time to catch up on that.

Pro-Logic suffices for now, and BTW, I do still have a working eight-track deck and at least 72 hours worth of tapes.

Perhaps you are waiting to see if blu-ray really is here to stay? Because many blu-ray disks use the newer high definition surround formats that are not compatible with what you have. And there are not often discussed issues with many blu-ray players downmixing to the original surround formats. Forcing you to use pcm.

"I do still have a working eight-track deck" that really says it all. At the time of their introduction there really wasn't any other good way to take music to your car. But as far as audio quality goes the only thing worse was a wire recorder. They died a well deserved death almost immediately upon the introduction of cassettes.