Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default ortf question

On 12/13/2011 9:34 AM, Nate Najar wrote:
hypothetically speaking of course, if you were to do ortf with a pair of mk41's, about how far apart should the capsules be?

No need to speak hypothetically. There's an official
definition of the angle and capsule spacing for ORTF by the
French organization that set the standard. I don't remember
what it is, but you can use Google as well as I can.

with cardioid I do my best to get them at 110 degrees and they end up around 6.5" apart.

They can be displaced vertically by an inch or so without
ruining the concept. If what's defining the capsule spacing
at the angle you're using is that the back end of the mics
with the connector and cable are trying to occupy the same
physical space, you can put cobble up something on your
stereo bar to raise one mic so they can overlap at the back
end. Or maybe using right-angle XLR plugs on the mic end of
the cable will give you enough working room. I used the
right angle XLRs with with a pair of Shure SM-81s to get the
official ORTF angle and spacing.

And if that's the spacing and angle that sounds right to
you, who cares what it SHOULD be? You've been doing this
long enough to know what you want it to sound like.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff