Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Explanation still required for triode superiority

Sander deWaal wrote:
"Andre Jute" said:

These, incidentally, are the same test results I interpret as meaning
that there is no such thing as an SE sound, that what we hear which so
appeals is a Class A ZNFB or very low NFB sonic signature. People just
confuse Class A with SE because only a tiny, tiny minority even of the
ultrafidelista have ever heard pure Class A PP amp.

Well, I have, since that's about the only topology I use when building
tube amps.

Join the elite.

I compared triode strapped JJ KT88s against NOS Philips XF4 EL34s,
also triode strapped in the same circuit, with somewhat reduced supply
voltage to not overstress the EL34s.

For me, the KT88s won hands down, even with the lower anode voltage.

Your membership has just been revoked! Next you'll be wanting 6550s.

I posted the circuit diagram some days ago in the "Step 2 for Fisher
Iron" thread.
You can still find it here, if you're interested:
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1751/wkschemod0.jpg

Vrij naar Murphy: de hoeveelheid problemen op een versterker neemt toe
met het
kwadraat van het aantal onderdelen.

Unless one wants a SE amp, it doesn't get any simpler than that, I'm
afraid.

There's a certain elegance to simplicity: you see it and you know the
thing will work well before you even get into the subtler details.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."

Andre Jute
Nah, Murphy is my insurance agent. He wouldn't dare. It would cost him
too much.