The Horta

Joe Kesselman wrote in
:

The Horta wrote:
However, with their sudden switch to Intel (with more Mac'ers
calling the unholy union "Mactel"), thus rendering just about
ALL current applications totally INCOMPATIBLE with the
forthcoming machines and OS

Huh? The whole point of this as I understood it was supposed
to be that they can run a Power emulator/JIT on top of the the
Intel chip and get adequate speed *without* changing their
software... and without impairing their ability to flip back
to Power chips in a future generation.

It's for their entire product line, according to Macworld. Also,
those same experts claim that emulated apps (Rosetta) are
considerably slower then native ones (of course, no surprise
there). While it doesn't matter much for Word it will for most
other apps, including simple browsing. It's just a Band Aid until
their developer community is all on-board.

The so-called "experts" don't seem to be that optomistic that the
conversion will be so simple and seamless, and for someone like me
who is ready to make a move it's a death knell, unfortunately.
However, I'm glad I hadn't done it yet, or else I'd be pretty upset
that Apple is now going to the processors that I just abandoned.

Brendan