Joe Mama

Andy Eng wrote:
I'm delighted...

After being a wintel owner/user for more than twenty years, I took the
plunged and went to a Mac (G4 PB) platform for remote recording and
post production mixing and art work. I've been most pleased since
making the change in terms of it being a productive package. BUT,...

I'm most pleased as to not having an upgrade path (I hope). Why?!?!?
I'm simply sick of getting nickeled and dimed with new apps upgrades,
more memory, more CPU, more apps, more memory, more CPU, etc. I've one
too many machines where just that one more addition pushed what was a
solid platform into a mess.

However!!!!

This ALSO more beans for more mics, more preamps, more mics, a
production CD/DVD cloner, more mics, more monitors, more mics, another
set of headphones, mor mics, a mic case, more mics, etc... :-)

Grumpy old fart in training... vbg

Andy

Indeed. It's like that Jerry Seinfeld routine about how at some point
your fashion 'stops': I'm still on OS9/PT 5.2 (well, dual boot, anyway)
and have no foreseeable need to 'upgrade' from a mature and stable OS to
a new and 'better' one. I rarely, if ever, find I have a compelling
reason to open any sessions in OSX/PT 6. The decision not to support
OS9 with the G5, while understandable, bums me out nevertheless.

On another note - isn't Digidesign developing on Wintel first now and
porting to Mac second? If that is correct, that would mean only good
things for ProTools users when Apple switches to Intel. Unless....

I am curious: does anyone know if, when they do switch, it will be to
x86 Intel (P4 type architecture), or something a bit more 'proprietary'
(for lack of a better term)? I assume it will be 64 bit, and probably
dual or multi core, but nothing I've read on the subject makes this
clear. The thought of installing Windows on a Mac really does my head
in. Surely Apple would want to prevent that from being possible?

Cheers,
-joe.