Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default The Charts and 1-Hit Wonders

Trevor wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote in message
As always, everyone has their own definition. You are welcome to yours,
and
I don't agree!
If it didn't make the top 40, *I* certainly wouldn't call it a "hit".
Maybe some would say anything in the top 1000 is a "hit", at least those
who
failed to make the top 100 I guess :-)

It's not up to you or me to define what is a hit. Billboard did that for
decades.

They mainly listed the top 40 for most of them. But Billboard was not given
a right to decide by God in any case.

They determined it according to numbers. It ain't like this **** is
religion. For quite a while Neilson Soundscan is how the numbers are
gathered.

My opinion is as valid (or not) as
yours or theirs.

Show your work. Let's see your numbers. talk is cheap, as are opinions.
They're working from stats. You?

And IMO actual sales are far more indicative than chart positions which
don't account for total sales, and depend largely on the strength of the
competition at the time of release.

Numbers are determined by adding up the scans at the point of sale.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri