Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

Ty Ford wrote:

Finally I put a compressor in the two mix and without any adjustment, it wa=
s showing 8 dB gain reduction! I did a global reduction of 8 dB and the voc=
al grunge stopped and the whole mix opened up. Somewhere in Logic Express a=
digital buss was being overloaded, but there was no place to see it.

This doesn't happen in Pro Tools.

Oh, it sure used to! Pro Tools 4 did that kind of thing all the time. These
days all the Pro Tools busses are 32-bit floats, though, so they are next to
impossible to overload.