Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

On Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 2:07:04 PM UTC-4, Nil wrote:
On 10 Oct 2015, geoff wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Peaks touching 0dBFS (for one sample) has nothing to do with
'loudness', dynamic range, or "strained harsh sound", but you've
finally grasped that, haven't you ?u.

No, it will take at least another 2 years before he gets it.

Actually 0dBFS peaks can cause problems on many DAs, but backing
off half a dB should fix that. But not those symptoms you
meantion.

SIDEBAR

I was mixing and mastering a project on Logic Express a year or so go. The tracks had been recorded by someone else. I was called in to mix and master.. I was having a particularly difficult time mixing one track. The vocal would sound pretty grungy during short sections, but no level indicators were showing anything alarming.

Finally I put a compressor in the two mix and without any adjustment, it was showing 8 dB gain reduction! I did a global reduction of 8 dB and the vocal grunge stopped and the whole mix opened up. Somewhere in Logic Express a digital buss was being overloaded, but there was no place to see it.

This doesn't happen in Pro Tools.

Regards,

Ty Ford