Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] upsidedown@downunder.com is offline

Default Tube mono-block amp with SIX 6L6 outut tubes

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:14:33 -0800, Big Bad Bob
wrote:

On 12/29/18 10:27, Tauno Voipio wrote:
On 29.12.18 01:32, Chris wrote:

clip

If you want to see an interesting audio amp, look up the Editors and
Engineers Radio Handbook from the mid 60's. There's a design that
which uses 6 or 8 6080 double triodes to build a direct coupled
amplifier, no output transformer and dual power rails, positive and
negative. Never built built it here, but a very original design. Could
probably update that to use power mosfets...

I found it in my copy, 16th edition, 1963.

The amplifier is not direct coupled, there are several stages
with coupling capacitors. The final is series-connected with
3 series pairs of 6082 triodes in parallel and direct feed to
a 16 ohm speaker. The power supplies are + and - 140 V.

sounds like a gimmick. Tube plate/cathode currents are just way too
small to properly drive a speaker without an impedence matching transformer.

Search for 6082 "50 ohm" and you find quite a lot hits with single
pair driving 50 ohms.

With tree pairs, the load could be 16 ohms.