John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D. Spiegel View Post
For my next project I have acquired a transformer with two identical 450v
secondary windings. I could put the windings in parallel and use a bridge
rectifier. Or, I could put the windings in series and ground the coupling
for a 450-0-450 configuration to use with a pair of diodes.

Which would you do? What are the pro's and con's of the two
configuration?

For this project I am using SS rectifiers. Were I using a tube rectifier
I would go with the center tap, of course.

- Paul
Here is a similar circuit but this time with choke input to filter. You can see the SUF (& PUF) have gone from 0.586 to 0.883. All these numbers are ideal & the best possible. There will be other losses in all, but this gives one an idea of what is possible. Some 3-phase circuits are quite a bit better, another reason 3-phase is in common use for any large power requirement.