Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default DAW utilizing multi core?

Tobiah wrote:

I haven't been CPU bound with a DAW since I got off
the Athlon 600 machine I used from 1999 to 2004.
Even then, Win95 and FAT32 were much more troublesome than
the processor speed.

Processor speed has run a good race with what
our expectations of power are. But while processor
speed now seems to be capped, our expectations
will not be.

I can run a handful of (meaning five) convolution
reverbs in real time now. I'm simply *not* CPU bound.

When it was the Athlon 600, when I became CPU bound, I
printed stems and master-mixed those. I still do that,
more for management-ease than CPU limited-ness.

The quality of what we are doing
now seems to approach perfection, but I thought
my first Nokia phone had achieved that. There
will be more consumptive reverbs, real-time
lyric transcription, real-time feedback from
ambient measurements, plugin cross communication,
composition parameter adjustment based on averaged
neural feedback of the listeners... My curiosity
in parallelization is due to the appearance that
it may be the single avenue toward increase in
total power for some years to come.

I simply can't imagine needing any of that. "Averaged
neural feedback..." Really?

--
Les Cargill