Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Rv! Rv! is offline

Default AGC Thoughts, Was: XLR to stereo 3.5mm cable?

"Scott Dorsey" kludge@
Right, and it's got some godawful AGC on it to begin with. You really,
really don't want to use the input on a consumer camcorder if there is
ANY possible way around it.

Seeing your username as "cludge" I just thought of a possible kludge that
would be interesting to try regarding AGC.

Thinking
If we were to inject a sub-sonic or super-sonic "sidetone" to the camera mixed
with the actual audio we want, we could set the "sidetone" level such that the
AGC would operate "much less, if at all." The sidetone, if recorded successfully,
could be filtered in post. I would imagine the AGC will react to a signal outside
the audio passband "if sent high enough" to get (forced) through any possible
filters."

I wonder if this would add "unacceptable" artefacts?
/thinking

Rv!