Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Boris Lau Boris Lau is offline

Default XLR to stereo 3.5mm cable?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
The internal mic in the camcorder is stereo, so I can only assume that
the external input is made for a stereo mic. My condenser mic is mono.

Right, and it's got some godawful AGC on it to begin with. You really,
really don't want to use the input on a consumer camcorder if there is
ANY possible way around it.

Quite a lot people hack the OS on their Sony Camcorders, for enabling
DV-In, Zebra patterns and disabling AGC. If you do that, you have a
consumer-quality line-in with level meter on that thing.

For a start, look at:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/acti...tarticle/1464/

It takes some research to find tables on the net with all the register
setting for a particular camera model, but the new features you can
activate with that are worth it. Been there, done that.

With these modifications you can use any mobile mic2line preamp to hook
up your mic to the camcorder. You can't use the preamp built into the
camera, because it can't be used without the AGC. This is true for the
consumer camcorders without a touch screen.

All the best

Boris

--
http://www.borislau.de - computer science, music, photos