Posted to rec.audio.tech
Legaldeejay Legaldeejay is offline

Default Is there any quality loss in these situations?

I've always wanted to know whether there is any true quality loss in the
following circumstances:

1. I burn a 192 kbps mp3 file to CD as a .wav file so that it can play on
a CD player. If I re-create an mp3 file at 192 kbps from that same CD, is
there any quality loss?

2. I open a 192 kbps mp3 file in Soundforge to edit. Soundforge creates a
temporary file for editing. Once I edit the file, I save the new file as a
a 192 kbps mp3 file. Is there any quality loss in this process?

3. I run a 192 kbps mp3 file through a normalizing program like Mptrim. If
the program makes changes to the file, such as eliminating silence at the
beginning of the file and normalizing the volume, is there any quality loss?

4. When zipping and unzipping mp3 files in Winzip and WinRar, is there any
quality loss?

Thanks