Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 Review Posted

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 8/2/2011 12:59 AM, PStamler wrote:
Nice review, Mike!

At one point, you remarked about the odd taper of the gain control,
noting that you'd seen the same on other project-studio gear, and you
speculated that they all got their pots from the same place.

I think you're right, and I think they're using linear pots where they
should be using reverse-log.

They're very much like Mackie and Behringer. Back when I had
friends at Behringer (ex-Mackie) and I got one of their
small mixers for a review, I commented to him about the
barely usable taper on the gain pots. He told me that they
had made a production change, were using different pots, and
he sent me a different mixer with the new pots. It was a
little better, more like (or maybe exactly like) a Mackie. I
once plotted gain vs. rotation on a Mackie Onyx.

Focusrite's response to my comment about the gain pots was
that it was to give better control at lower gain settinds
(like, yeah, just where you need it).

CYA maneuver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri