Michael \(LS\)

Default PVC pipe as sub enclosure?

"Jason" wrote in message
I have been daydreaming about buting a new double cab Tacoma, but there is
nowhere to fit a sub in that cabin. I have been thinking of sliding an 8"
or maybe 10" high powere sub between the two rear passenger leg spaces. I
havent done any measurements or anything, but have been thinkign of what
would work.

I was thinking that a PVC pipe of the correct diameter, and sprayed with
sound dampener would make an axcellent box. I would seal both ends with
3/4" MDF and set the sub either face up or face down and give the box some
*feet* so the driver doesnt hit the floor.

Has anyone done this? How well does this work and how much is 10" PVC

pipe?
Is it hard to find?

Don't use PVC pipe. If you can find it it'll be pretty expensive and
there's better/cheaper options. Use Sonotube. It's available in sizes from
8"-24" diameter and is very strong. It's used as a form for house/deck
footings (it's placed in the ground and then filled with concrete).

There's a couple of sites about do-it-yourself subwoofer building (the home
variety, not car, but same principle) where they've used it. I remember
seeing a site where the guy took a 15" diameter sonotube that was 8' long,
cut it in half, and made two subs each 4' tall. IIRC he used some pretty
nice 12" subs and the results were pretty impressive.

Anyway, do a search and you should find lots more information.

HTH,

Michael (LS)