Duncan A. McRae

Default alternator noise with new install (Warning: LONG POST!)

Thank you, Kevin. I'll see what I can do (I may just show this to the
original install-tech and see what HE does with it).

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
Make sure that the amp's negative terminal, and nothing else, is very
well grounded. The RCA cables should be grounded only from inside the
head unit, nowhere else. The speaker cables should not be grounded
except for maybe inside the amplifier.

Remove the RCA cables and check the voltage on the chassis of the head
unit. It should be less than 0.1 volts. More voltage (or the HU not
turning on) means it has a bad ground.

Connect a handheld amplifier (like Radio Shack's) to the RCA cables on
the HU, with no other RCA cables connected, to see if there's noise
without a ground loop.