Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Experience with ultra-exotic hi-fi systems?

On 14/06/2017 8:44 PM, Don Pearce wrote:
As a general rule, every added driver is an added source of comb
filtering, and hence a bad thing.

Only in the range over which 2 or more drivers are operating, and then
depending on separation Vs wavelength.

Speakers need to be physically as
minimal as physics will allow if they are to perform well.

To paraphrase Einstein, as simple as possible but NO simpler. THAT
however is VERY subjective depending on the desired outcome you are
trying to achieve. Achieving a fairly flat frequency response is
relatively easy if bass extension and dynamic range are not a
consideration. Tiny bookshelf speakers will NOT compete with those huge
5 way systems if they are however.

One look at this lot confirms, unfortunately, that they have not been
designed from good acoustic principles.

Apart from the golden speakers which are designed to be looked at rather
than listened to, they are all appear to be designed to good acoustic
principles for one parameter or another. Sadly speakers require more
conflicting compromises in design than any other part of the audio chain
regardless of cost. It is not surprising every designer makes different
choices as to what he wishes to achieve. Of course when we are talking
about such stupid prices the only real goal is to attract those with
more money than sense, so actual sound performance is fairly irrelevant.
Just as a Rolls Royce is not expected to outperform a Ferrari on any
measurable parameter. (except perhaps cabin noise I guess) They still
appeal to many who can afford them for other reasons. Mostly as a
statement of wealth. The problem I see with all such speakers however is
that unlike a Rolls Royce, most normal people have no idea what they are
worth, so defeats the purpose of ostentatious wealth on which they rely.
Clearly nobody expects them to actually sound better than far cheaper
options from B&W, Dynaudio etc. Exclusivity alone is pointless, there
are plenty of cheap speakers nobody has heard of, and/or have sold very few.

Trevor.