Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

hank alrich wrote:

geoff wrote:
wrote:

BTW, the 301 is a single package opamp. The 460B uses a TI TL062 dual
fet input device. Good luck getting a single package device to work in
there.

On checking, you are right. I falsely remembered it as an LM301 from last
time I looked. Surely there is a drop-in replacement ( or more recent
manufactured 062) for that, that would give a marginally better performance ?

TLC 272 very likely (just off the top of my head without even bothering to look).

Who said anything about removing the transformer (OK, you might in your
upgrade) . A few replaced electrolytics (esp tantalums) may also give an
improvement.And then one could put bypass caps on those, espcially the
series with output before the transformer...

I know schoolkids who do that sort of thing off their own bats. Admittedly
through folkloric methodology rather than scientific.

The xfrmr in the stock C460 is rather disgusting, and Jim removes it.

The best thing to do with most audio transformers IMHO.

Unless you're using them as an 'effect' per those early Class A Neve modules for
example.

Graham