Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Default Tascam 122B and 234 tape machines at 3.75 IPS- any good ?

DeserTBoB wrote:

On 20 Mar 2007 04:23:28 -0700, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

On Mar 20, 3:02 am, Les Cargill wrote:

Because a Revox was heavy and expensive. Any other
analog reel deck was probably a crapshoot, or
just crap. Ampexes were furniture - forget moving
them at all. You went to them.

BAH! Kids these days! I have a friend around here who, when he was a
teenager carried an Ampex 350 around Los Angeles by bus to record
orchestras that would let him in. Those recordings still sound great
even after more than 50 years. snip

Agreed. There was LOTS of "suitcased" 350s, 351s and 354s (ugh)

I'll be. The only ones I ever saw were in the rollaround - I just
assumed they stayed that way.

running around back then, just as there still are alot of similarly
portablized AG440s. My 440 can be taken out of the rollaround and
installed in Anvils in about an hour, complete with a TRS jackfield
for external interconnects. Only problem there is, "Where the hell
did I put those power cords???" Of course, there's precious little
call for remote 4 track recording on analog these days, so they stay
put. I schlepped a 351-2 around recording organs all over the West
back in the '70s.

So, yes...they aren't necessarily "furniture"...although being a
furniture mover with big biceps sure helps in moving them around!

Next! The evils of the Hammond B3 ( sleeps two )...

--
Les Cargill