Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Tascam 122B and 234 tape machines at 3.75 IPS- any good ?

...the TASCAM equipment listed was made during the 1980's,
it has 25 - 20khz rez. And that's what I'm looking into getting,
running at 3.75 IPS. This is studio-quality gear -- you obviously
don't know WTF you're talking about here.

I remember seeing the specs for TASCAM's 3.75ips cassette machines -- and it
was inferior to all but the cheapest Nakamichi decks running at half that
speed. (The spec'd frequency response was 16kHz, which is poor performance
for a machine using premium tape and running at 3.75ips.) The only likely
advantage of these TASCAM decks is better headroom.

You can get response to 20kHz at 3.75ips -- but the machine has to be
well-engineered. TASCAM decks have no reputation for superior engineering.

I have been told that, if an internal low-pass filter is defeated, the
Nakamichi Dragon will get out to 30kHz -- with metal tape, of course.

Of course, the bottom line is that good specs don't automatically guarantee
good sound. Except for headroom, I'd put a Nakamichi up against _any_ TEAC
or TASCAM running at _any_ speed.