Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tascam 122B and 234 tape machines at 3.75 IPS- any good ?

"jailhouserock" wrote in
message
oups.com
On Mar 21, 6:44 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

I'm not sure you're making sense here, but never mind.
Analog -- even good analog -- sucks in some ways.

No matter how they tried to overcome its inherent
limitations, analog tape never got to be sonically
transparent.

yet the best CD's and SACD''s and DVD-A's, are taken from
tape masters.

Nonsense.

I'd wager your favorite digital music,
most of it has tape masters.

Can't be, because I record my favorate music myself - digitally.

And recordings from
digital masters, sound terrible and harsh.

Simply not true.

That may be, but digital can be sonically transparent,
and for what are now reasonable amounts of trouble and
expense.

transparent, and also missing some of the music,

That's self-contradictory.

and what's there is sonically changed due to the sampling
methods-

Simply not true. Time for you to do some proper listening tests.

i.e. I can take a picture of you, blow it up to
10 feet square size, and poke it full of full of 100
holes with a pencil- at the distance of 100 feet away,
you can still tell what the picture is though- that's
digital.

Only in your mind.

don't confuse lack of background noise with
quality. If Marilyn Monroe wore dirty jeans with holes
in the knees, and a ripped t-shirt, she's still Marilyn
Monroe- that's analog and background noise.

Nonsense, and does not include all the other failings of cassette tape
including:

Wow
Flutter
Modulation noise
Major shifts in frequency response with recorded level
Absence of dynamic range at high frequencies and high levels

And, just maybe, DSD might not suck.

Not a chance. DSD is just the usual elements of a modern
digital audio record/reproduce chain with some different
parameter choices (like the far more agressive noise
shaping) , and some now-innocous steps sorta bypassed.

you won't see me buying any digital equipment new-

Fine with me - you can suffer as you wish.

you
can pay $5000 for a system, and in 2 years it's worth
about $200 or less. The thrift stores are becoming full
of CD players now.

Nahh, people are just playing them until they drop.

My neighbor put out a Technics 5-CD
changer on trash day- there was nothing wrong about it.

Maybe your neighbor caught what's ailing you? ;-)

And CD was this "great format" and so much better than
analog- than why are people throwing away the players now
?

Are they?

If they are, it would be because they have a DVD player that plays both
formats, and takes up less space in their AC cabinet than two separate
players.

I have a friend who's a technician and owns his own shop-
lately, the place is getting LOTS of vintage work- while
the digital machines are not worth fixing, and are being
thrown away. Just look inside one new digital machine,
they are all cheaply made P'sOS.

You just contradicted yourself again. If the vintage digital stuff is being
thrown away, why does he have so much work fixing it?

Are you recommending someone invest in this digital crap

Not digital crap, highly effective digitally-based tools.

? I'd rather invest in those TASCAM decks anyday

Be my guest.