Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Tascam 122B and 234 tape machines at 3.75 IPS- any good ?

"jailhouserock" wrote in
message
oups.com
On Mar 21, 8:19 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

I'm not sure you're making sense here, but never mind.
Analog -- even good analog -- sucks in some ways.

No matter how they tried to overcome its inherent
limitations, analog tape never got to be sonically
transparent.

Depends on what you mean by that. I bet I can do a
double-blind test where you can't tell the input of the
ATR-100 from the output. I bet
I could EVEN do it with cassette if I selected the
sample material right. --scott

exactly- you're one of the sharper guys here.

Well yes, but what he's really doing is making a joke with me.

what I think happens is this- new digital gear comes out,
people go out and buy it- and then feel the need to
defend it- because otherwise, they'd have to admit that
20-30 year old analog gear is just as good and even
better, and costs far less

No way Jose'

kind of like buying a new 2007 Vette, and getting your
doors blown off by an old 1970 Chevelle with a 454 at the
track...the Vette owner isn't going to like making that
month's payment on his car...

More like buying a Ford Fusion V6 with a paltry 183 cubic inch engine, and
finding that it will pretty well keep up or beat any circa-70s sedan with a
stock engine displacing up to twice as much, with far better gas economy,
far lower pollution, far quieter, far smoother, far less maintenance, better
tolerance for low octane fuels, and far better drivability.