Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default B&W 801 series 2 crossover

In article , "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
. dk...
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Why would you make an effort to find a lower rated part unless the
10W ones wont fit?

He thinks they work like fuses.

No David, it failed because it actually acted like a fuse. And it is

cheaper
that the resistor in series with the loudspeaker unit should fail and
thereby protect the loudspeaker unit than vice versa.

Sure, but I'd call that extremely lucky. A cheap polyswitch would do a far
better job at protecting the driver.

MrT.

We have no idea of what the speaker did without looking and testing all components.
I don't think the OP will do this, and he will likely still have problems.

When its all said and done, I myself would listen to
the pair with pink noise.

I worked a little with poly switches. You can get both negative and positive devices.
It critical to know the the trip current of the device and also the exact
Z of the drivers. They are tricky, are not foolproof, and can also interefere the
performance.

I have seen sand power resistors get awfull looking yet still work.
I would rather use fire proof resistors at times than carbon or film resistors,
which thae later seem to be in abundance in my parts bin.

greg