Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default B&W 801 series 2 crossover

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
On 5/16/2010 11:17 AM Peter Larsen spake thus:

You missed my point with a margen of 2 3/4 furlong: my
point is that the resistor powerhandling is chosen so as
to make the resistor protect the loudspeaker unit(s)
that get their signal through it.

I don't buy that at all. Since when does a resistor, even
of a much lower value than the speaker it's in series
with, "protect" a speaker? It's not a fuse; the resistor
is just going to generate heat, potentially lots of it,
and possibly char the surrounding cabinetry before going
"poof".

There are many instances of resistors being used for fuses - for example
resistors in the 0.1 to 10 ohm range are often used this way. However, the
intent is usually rather gross - to prevent a fire or other casualty loss.
Obviously, if a designer wants a well-calibrated fuse, they use a fuse. They
just cost more money than a small resistor.

I'm not familiar with resistors in the 5-10 watt range being used this way.
Usually, internal speaker protection is provided by fuses, light bulbs, or
other non-linear resisive devices.

If one wanted to protect a speaker, a fuse would be the
way to do it, not a lower-wattage resistor.

Agreed.

When a reistor is used as a fuse, it seems unlikely that using a resistor
with only 33% higher wattage would be a deal breaker.