Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro is offline

Default To play a USB disk (without a computer)

Hello

I was wondering: I have seen portable DVD players that can play
files from an USB disk. I suppose there are also home DVD players
with that feature ?

And what about Home Theatre amplifiers/receivers ? Since those can be
connected to a TV they already can show menus, etc, to navigate the files.
So they only need an USB connector and the software.

Two things I would like in one:

- being able to effectively use a big disk (500GB now (that is only ~100
euros now), 1 TeraByte or more in a year or so). Meaning, no stupid
limits on the number of files or folders and a navigation interface
that can find what one wants to play without needing hundreds of
clicks.

- being able to play flac files (and other formats).

Any interesting models ?

This sort of thing can be an interesting alternative to systems that use a
PC server to hold the files and network players like the slimdevices:

http://www.slimdevices.com/

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94