Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Sound Pressure Level Meter Weighting (SPL)

On May 5, 10:38*am, ST wrote:

So my question is should the room and loudspeakers tuned and placed so
that we get a flat frequencies based on A-weighting (i.e, perceived
loudness to human rather than actual loudness)? If the answer is yes
than was the High End magazine was wrong to ask us to use C-weighting?

With respect to you, your first mistake would be to believe an
instrument over your ears. Now, I am NOT stating that instruments have
no place. What I am stating is that you might measure and equalize
your room to a fare-the-well. Put in two people, a large dog, a couple
of cats and perhaps have a fire going (if so equipped) and all that
changes significantly.

With respect to that 'high-end magazine' you need to understand why
they exist - which is to sell the technology promulgated by their
advertisers and contributors that also happens to be popular with
their audience - only after which they will provide information and
insight.

Now from a purely technical view, C-weighting (uncontoured) would more
accurately reflect the relationship of input signal to output signal.
And, after all, that is what speakers are expected to produce - the
closest possible replication of what went in at the input end at the
output end. This is amplification, not digestion, so the same thing
only more-so or less so (louder or softer), not amalgamated leavings
and a bad smell. Once that is achieved, it is up to the user to add
coloration to their own peculiar taste.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA