Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default A little help with adaptors and naming.

On 2/3/2014 11:50 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Amazon has so many suppliers that usually if it exists, somebody
probably has it. But what I've found when searching from Amazon is that
I sometimes have to fool around with the search term before I get to
somebody who has what I'm looking for.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

The reason why you're having difficulty finding that cable is because
nobody else wants on. Are you sure this is what you really need? Out of
curiosity, what's your application? What most people need is to split
the left and right channels of a stereo output into two separate cables
so they can connect one powered speaker or amplifier to the left channel
of the source and the other to the right channel. If you were asking for
the 1/4" ends to be jacks (female) rather than plugs, that would be
practical for splitting a single 1/8" output to two standard sets of
headphones. But when it comes to speakers, when you have two leads
splitting out from the source, you usually want one channel on each cable.

In general, the term to use when searching for this type of cable or
adapter is "Y-cable" or "splitter." You might try those, but honestly I
don't think you'll find what you're looking for off the shelf.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com