Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 3/22/2009 1:10 PM fudgee logic spake thus:

Is this the correct understanding for naming conventions of plugs and
adapters:

(1) A lead which has a phono plug at each end can be referred to as
"phono plug to phono plug" lead. That much is ok.

(2) But is an adaptor (or coupler) which has a phono socket at each end
referred to as "phono socket to phono socket" adaptor (or coupler)?

Here's one: http://www.rawpower.co.uk/acatalog/sky_761.260.jpg

Would not also be likely that this could be referred to by its ability to
join two phono plugs and therefore gets called "phono plug to phono plug"
adaptor (or coupler)?

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector". Or
... )

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

--

In France they're called Cinch connectors.
I'd call the adapter a back-to-back female phono coupler

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com