Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Dargenio Ron Dargenio is offline

Default electret mics and phantom power

On Mar 7, 9:00�am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Ron Dargenio wrote:
I have a Sony ECM 999pR electret mic; I have used this for home
recording with a DAT recorder.
Would it be safe to use this mic with a recorder that has phantom
power without damaging the mic? The mic normally uses one AA battery
to power it. Thanks.

That's the entry-level M-S mike with the 1/8" plug on it? *How are you
proposing to plug that into a balanced input? *The answer to that question
basically tells you whether it's safe or not.

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

No, it's not an entry level mike, it's actually quite a nice
one....with a 5-pin connector. I have an adaptive cord that splits
into 2 XLR connectors. I believe that the machine would either be a
Roland
CDX-1 or a Fostex MR8 with 48V Phantom, whichever one a friend of mine
is able to get access to.