BEAR

Sorry this is such a long post, but I would truly value any feedback
any one has to offer.

Jonathan Histed

You've got a range of only loosely related problems to address.

The following needs/issues to be defined clearly before starting:

- the precise nature of your father's hearing impairment
- the sources of sound you expect to "channel" to him (fixed vs. mobile;
people vs. electronic)
- the "portability" issue - for use in a fixed location only?? or??
- something else that just eluded me... :- )

I'd look at the idea of using a stereo FM "transmitter" and a high
quality "walkman" reciver, for a fixed setup, locally. Any DSP or EQ
could be applied before the xmiter. This would make for an economical
and locally portable set up.

FYI, sound can also be "broadcast" within a loop via a direct connection
to an amplifier's output, and an AM receiver that consists mostly of an
inductor and amplifier.

There are around here some "40mm Digital" headphones for the whopping
sum of $2.00 US that are actually quite fine to listen to! (Coby is the
brand, FYI)Good bass, smooth highs. Comfortable too.

As far as mics, there are all sorts of imported large and small diameter
condenser mics these days, under $100US for certain.

I'd stay away from PZM, since that will pick up the whole room,
including the noise. In a fixed, living room conversation situation, a
stand and a small shotgun mic or two would do wonders. Imho.

For TV and other sources, a direct connection is preferable, imho.

Everything depends on what the hearing deficit is, as this determines
the requirements for augmenting the sound.