Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Slew rate and slew rate limiting

Arny Krueger wrote:
My calculations show that it takes about 3.55 v/microsecond slew rate to
produce a low distoriton sine wave at 20 KHz and 20 volts rms (equivalent to
50 watts into 8 ohms).

Just about any even halfways competent amp in those days could do that.

There were lots of not-halfways competent amps out there at the time.
Lots of people out there developed a great distaste for transistors,
believing that transistors all sounded bad, when it fact it was just
the Dynaco ST120/ Phase Linear / SWTPC amplifier that sounded bad.

If you ever get a chance to measure slew rate on those SWTPCs or on some
of the bigger Phase Linears, you'll be horrified.

I think you forget just how bad things used to be, and in terms of
amplifier sound quality things went _down_ in the seventies as we
made the transition from tubes to solid state while trying to design
circuits with the same capacitively-coupled techniques.

We're still dealing with the fallout today. There is a lot of misinformation
floating around in the audiophile world about "solid state sound" which was
in fact nearly true at one time but is effectively bunkum today.