Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Slew rate and slew rate limiting

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

Bottom line - slew rate has to be rediculously low to be audible with
real-world music. The exagerrated reports about the audibility of slew
rate
limiting from the late 1970s were due reliance on sighted evaluations
which
we now know to be invalid for determining the audibility of subtle
differences.

Strange, I thought they were due to power amplifiers from major
manufacturers
with slew rates only around 0.1V/microsecond.

I don't think that there ever were any serious audio amplifiers any where
near that bad, at least not by the early 1970s.

My calculations show that it takes about 3.55 v/microsecond slew rate to
produce a low distoriton sine wave at 20 KHz and 20 volts rms (equivalent to
50 watts into 8 ohms).

Just about any even halfways competent amp in those days could do that.