Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default OK - What is currently a good burner for audio CD?

Dave Platt wrote:

It doesn't seem possible that the disc burner drive can possibly have
anything to do with audio artifacts (content-dependent or otherwise).
I would seriously discount the source of that information.

A bad burn can result in the sort of "static" and "motorboating", if
it's bad enough that the CD player's C1/C2 Reed-Solomon error
correction logic cannot recover the original burned data accurately.

Which is why it is preferable to be able to test the disks, Mr. T was so
kind as to updaste my information, which was based on my understanding that
the Plextor Premium drives and Plextools Professional were the only
available and affordable "over the counter" solution to that. It is based on
test of actual burns that I learned that the lowest error rate with my
equipment was obtained by burning X16 rather than by burning X4.

In my experience, burning at moderate speeds, with high-quality blank
discs, seems to produce the best results.

Have you actually tested the outcome of the process with Plextools
Professional or comparable, if so what? - or are you guessing relative disk
quality based on "no problems in playback encountered?"

Kind regards

Peter Larsen