Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Does anyone have a schematic for a Behringer CX3400

"Phildo" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I'm still looking for a lucid explanation of what makes a general-purpose
mixing console suitable for recording and unsuitable for live sound.

That statement alone speaks volumes about why you should not be posting to
aapls.

No Phildo, the absence of such a thing shows how arbitrarily claims like
this are tossed around. This post notwitstanding, you have given no logical
reason why an 02R96 shouldn't be used for live sound, given that it has
enough channels, etc.

I've been told by a local live sound eggspurt that Yamaha's 02R96 is not
suitable for live sound, I eventually found out that he arrived at this
opinion after he attempted to demonstrate one at a local venue, and
failed to coax anything out of its main outputs.

The guy was right in some respects. While it can be used for live sound,
it is not an ideal desk for a lot of situations sue to its complexity.

What complexity? Does a simple thing like layers blow your mind that much?
Does input and output patching confuse your little feeble brain? Are
parametric equalizers too much for you to learn how to use, except with
great difficulty?

Maybe complex to you, Phildo. To me the 02R96 is hardly complex at all. I
have taught 4 people how to use it. Two had never used a mixing console
before, and mixed a show using 20 or so channels only an hour or two after
they first saw it. The other one was experienced and virtually taught
himself. There's a girl, a junior in high school that just learned how to
use our 02R96 to mix a program with video and recorded music as well as a
mic, in less than 1.5 hours from the first time she ever looked seriously at
any mixer in her whole life.

A visiting engineer cannot be shown how to use the desk in 5 minutes at
a festival for example.

Maybe that's true of the grade of sound tech that you hang with Phildo, as
well as your sweet self.

An experienced engineer should not need to be shown anything about an 02R96
in order to use it to almost immediately mix a show if they even have just
heard how digital mixers work from a friend. Faders are faders, mutes are
mutes, etc.

Same goes for the PM1D and to some extent the PM5D.

Those are just 02R96s for people who have to see every fader at the same
time in order to keep things straight in their head. ;-)

MC7L is a much better example for live sound use as it is simple to use
and only needs a few minutes for an experienced engineer to find his way
around it.

Been there, done that. See my comment above. My learning curve on first
sight of a M7CL was about was about 30 seconds.

Then there's the LS9 - a little harder to use because it lacks the
touch-sensitive faders. Another 30 second learning curve.

Yamaha state it is suitable...

That's exactly right Phildo - Yamaha says that the 02R96 is recommended by
them for live sound, and you can't give a reason why not, except that maybe
for some odd reason it scares you and the people you hang with.

The 02R96 worked out great for us because it has the channels we need (32)
with a reasonable allowance for expansion, is easy to use, and is narrower
than most if not all of the Yamaha digital consoles with a comparable number
of channels. The fact that we picked one up with a new equipment warranty
for less than $8K was very sweet.