Arny Krueger

Default Using DJ Amplifiers in Home Theater

"Powell" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote

"Arny Krueger" wrote

Since the consensus here seems to
indicate going with the more pricey Crown or Hafler
amplifiers, I think I will revert my focus back to
obtaining a higher powerered Carver amplifier.

Your typical Crown, QSC, or Hafler would probably
bury a Carver when it comes to difficult loads.

"would probably"... how would you know, Mr.
no-empirical-experiences?

Given the rather conspicuous reliable evidence
that I've got considerable empirical experience
with these and many other amps, one is tempted to ask
what the heck are you ranting about, Powell?

Rubbish. Talking about amps is not experience.

Agreed. Listening to them and measuring is. Been there, done that when it
comes to amps made by Crown, QSC, Hafler, Bryston, Parasound, Dyna, Alesis,
Yamaha, etc.

We all know you've not subscribed to any audio
magazines in the last 20 years... so you're not
even well read on the subject.

Rubbish. Reading about amps is not experience.

Krell, Levinson and others
could be said to "bury" your biased picks, too.

True, there's no theoretical limit to how much an
amp can be underrated.

How would you know?

Been there, done that.

I'm currently using one rated at 175watts rms X 2 at 4 ohms.

Consider the fact that your typical Crown, QSC or Hafler has
4-ohm bridged ratings. That correspond to a 2 ohm load.

Why is that relevant (bridging) to the poster's
application/needs?

See former comments about "difficult loads" and
comment just above about "2 ohm load".

So what? The poster has not described his speakers
and has not complained about the ability to drive them.

As you said Powell, so what. He may or may not have the problem, he may or
may not know that he will have the problem, but its a situation that he may
want to consider. I'm just providing evidence that he can use to base his
choice on.

You need a bigger shovel, Arny.

Been there, done that.

RMS load rating is not
the major determinant in high fidelity reproduction.

So Powell, does that mean that your main system
with speakers has power amps rated at 100
milliwatts, RMS? Of course not. There's at least a
loose relationship between RMS power ratings and
ability to drive speakers to useful volume levels.

You're the only thing "loose" and half cocked.

Personal attacks won't help your case, Powell. They just make you look
"loose" and "half cocked".

In fact there's no other spec that is vastly different,
and more relevant.

Relevant as a "loose relationship", according to you.

No problem.

It is only one factor of many to consider.

Name a commonly-used amplifier spec that is vastly
different and also a better predictor of an amps ability
to drive speakers to satisfying levels.

Top Ten of important factors to consider:

1. The ability to satisfy the user's sound preferences.

Not a spec, therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

2. The compatibility of the pre-amp to drive the power
amp.

Not a spec, therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

3. The fidelity of the amp to discern fine detail, sound
stage and microdynamics.

Not a spec, therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

4. Physical size limitations and cooling requirements
for placement in the user's setup.

Irrelevant as a predictor of an amps ability to drive speakers to
satisfying levels and therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

5. Manufacturer's warranty and reliability.

Irrelevant as a predictor of an amps ability to drive speakers to
satisfying levels and therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

6. Budget.

Irrelevant as a predictor of an amps ability to drive speakers to
satisfying levels and therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

7. Quality and fit-and-finish.

Irrelevant as a predictor of an amps ability to drive speakers to
satisfying levels and therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

8. Will it meet the needs for future expansion, if any?

Not a spec, therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

9. Will the sound fidelity vary depending on
loudness?

Not a spec, therefore irrelevant to the question I asked.

10. Special requirements such as input like XLR,
vacuum tube vs SS, number of channels needed,
etc.

Too obvious.

I love the look of the Carvers with the two analog power
meters on the front.

I'd trade a really sensitive, accurate clipping light
for fancy meters in a heart beat.

Quack, quack, quack...

So Powell, does that mean that given the chance, you
took the fancy meters that impress visiting-firemen
and small children?

The meters on the TFM line are very good, mr. meter reader .

Good for what, impressing visiting-firemen and small children?

Powell, thanks for again showing once again that you can't respond properly
to even the simplest of questions.