Scott Dorsey

Default New Amp question

Sugarite wrote:
I just unboxed a new power amp. with no load on it and both channels

turned
all the way down...channel b gets hot as hell and the fan kicks in
overdrive. channel a is nice and cool. is this thing ****ed?

Probably. What kind of amp is it? Are there bias controls on the front
panel? Can you swap the output tubes between right and left channels and
see if it moves? Sounds like a bias issue to me.

I think it's a solid state amp he's talking about, although the complete
lack of details certainly doesn't help.

Well, then swap output transistors. Or check the base bias on them.

"What's wrong with my amp?"

"User error - you haven't taken it to a repair tech yet"

If it's solid state, and it's bad out of the box, I can make a pretty good
guess about a couple of manufacturers that probably made it. But far be
it from me to engage in snide vendor-bashing here.