Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Conn tuner

TimR wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 7:47:32 PM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:

They're accurate, but most don't have good enough resolution to get
right on pitch, but, as we say in folk music, they're good enough for
folk music. They're of no use when there's a fixed-tuned instrument and
everyone else has to tune to that. That's where a Strobe tuner or
something that displays cents off pitch is useful.

Wait, people can't hear when they're out of tune? Can't tune a pure unison by ear?

What does "in tune" mean anyway? Pianos are never really in tune. With
lots of instruments, you don't -want- a pure unison.

If that skill is missing seems like a strobe tuner will get at best one note in tune.

The strobe tuner will tell you not only about the note but about the harmonics
of the note and sometimes about weird sidebands on the note. Not that you
can't hear these things under reasonable conditions, but you aren't always
working under reasonable conditions.

The strobe tuner is for more than just simple tuning.

Before electronic tuners sometimes a group would be so far off pitch, the individual instrument couldn't get in tune. Now that the center pitch is more standardized, instrument limitations become less important.

Standardized? I know ensembles that match to A=438 and some that match to
A=442 and one that sets down to something weird and crazy to match the note
of an organ whose longest pipe was cut to fit a ship's hold in 1729 and
everything else tuned with reference to that.

People don't even agree on temperament. And THEN you get some guy who wants
to play the sitar with the rest of the rock band... and don't get me started
about great highland pipes...