Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 9/16/2010 8:15 AM thanatoid spake thus:

snip

WHAT? You did NOT do that when you removed all the screws?
I have not been reading the thread carefully ever since
you ignored my request for a photograph, but DUUH!

The amp appears to be fine; there's either a problem with
the XLR mike input jack, or with the mike cable we were
using. (Can't test because I have no XLR plugs.)

WHERE are you (as in, forest, garage with NO tools, an
audio shop run by Scientologists who believe the e-meter
is the only piece of electronic test equipment anyone
needs) ????????

SIGH.

BTW, I have learned over the last 4 decades that it's
ALWAYS the cable (and if it's not, you **still** test any
cables FIRST before you do ANYTHING, including attempting
to open an audio box [when you should let your friends
open your canned food for you] let alone flooding an NG
with clueless posts for a week), and /had/ you posted like
a person with a clue, I would have told you to try another
cable - I know you don't have one, BUY one!

Look, you little ****

Is that the BEST you can do? C'mon! Work with me here!

(and keep in mind that *you* were the
first one in this thread to use profanity)

OMG! Profanity on the Usenet! My transgression is
unforgivable! Please have the mother****ing pigs come and
arrest me STAT!

let me explain my situation for your little pea-brain to
understand.

I have a HUGE head, I can never find a hat to fit me. And I
have an IQ of 134. Not THAT high, but odds /are/ it's higher
than yours. OTOH, head and brain size have nothing to do with
intelligence.

I am not a professional electronics repairperson.

Neither am I.

I don't
maintain a repair shop, nor solicit repairs.

Neither do I.

This is why I
own no XLR connectors: normally I have absolutely no need
for such things. I have no sound equipment, microphones,
etc.

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN DOING
A GIG.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time, huh?

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong with
it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have a
single XLR cable in the house?

Hmm. What kind of band?

I'm 99.99% sure that the problem is outboard of the jack
connections on the amp simply by doing the "touch the input
connection and listen for hum" test. The amp responded
admirably well to this test, so I'm certain it works.The
problem, then, is obviously either the jack on the amp
or somewhere in the microphone cable being used. There
wasn't enough time to get another cable and test it.

No, of course not.

So if you want to continue to berate me for some perceived
slight against the propriety of this newsgroup, which after
all is supposed to be a source of information for people
seeking such, well then, go right ahead and be my guest.

I am not berating you, I understand why you posted your
question here, but you or someone you know DO have a digital
camera, you DO know how to use the internet, and you SHOULD
HAVE CHECKED THE CABLE before spending a week trying to open
a box you are not qualified to look inside of!

WHAT were you expecting to find, a soldered cable connection
/inside a sealed enclosure/ which just /decided/ to come
undone for no reason whatsoever?

And, BTW - an e-meter (q.v.) CAN be used to test cables, as I
realized after posting. But I waited, hoping for an
entertaining reply - and I was NOT disappointed! ;-)

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid