Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Question about Digital vs. Analog

On 2/10/2019 12:28 AM, James Price wrote:
What's the differentiating factor between digital clipping at the input stage, and its effect on the end result, compared to how an analog guitar amplifier sounds when boosted?

To refine the question, if I'm recording guitar using a digital amp / guitar cab simulator into a DAW and the input of the guitar is clipping, how does that clipping affect the digital amp / cab and what's the end result at the output end (after the amp / cab) compared to an analog amplifier with huge amounts of input boost?

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "digital clipping", or how
that is being achieved. If by "...its effect on the end result" you mean
how it sounds, there is no one single answer.

your refinement of the question, what is causing the input of the
guitar to clip? Is this "guitar" a physical instrument, or is it a
sampled file? If it's a real guitar, how and why would the instrument's
input clip, since the "input" is the magnetic pickup of string
vibrations (and totally analog, not that it matters)?

--
best regards,

Neil