Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Bose L1

hank alrich wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:

I encountered one of these Sunday. It was actually two of the pole
arrays and two of the bass modules. I was listening from the perspective
of a performer ( weekend warrior band situation ) .

It's not bad at all. Sounds quite a bit better than most all MI store
small club kit. I was expecting sort of an Acoustimass experience - not
so at all. Sounds like a modest PA, but much better than the usual
weekend warrior kit. The absence of horns and tweeters ( and I'm sure
the sophisticated active crossovers in the brain box ) made it darned
smooth.

I think people often find it easier to get mediocre sound from these
than from most usual MI SR kit.

That said, the more I listen to them the less I like them. It's a stack
of ****ty drivers and at some point my ear went, "Wow - listen to that".

So are you hearing comb filtering because you're too close?

I had my amp leaning back with a mic in it, and the sound
coming off the poles sounded just like the amp.

Vocals sounded fine; no complaints.

The horizontal dispersion is admirable. Up close to a performer, seated
front and center and below, I heard a lot of smearing, and I realized
that from such a listening position each of those up-the-pole ****ty
drivers was just a bit further from my ear.

Mmmmm. Comb filters. Yeah, arrays are like that.

I do like the concept, and in fact, for quality of sound around a
similar idea I much prefer the Fishman Solo rig. We've played a few
shows via each.

There is also an upscale offering of the type from Phil Jones.

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?c=4

Looks even spendier.

snip
--