It seems Apogee forecast precisely my problem, and hidden away under
the dir/usb mix knob is a "push" value that creates a "mono" headphone
mix. This will alleviate the panning problem, although I will have to
record mono reference in the headphones.

In terms of learning about my gear: the criticisms seemed quite
strident. I AM trying to learn: that is why I posted. I thought this
was a newsgroup capable of handling questions from those that are
insterested in learning? There are many, many things that I know
absolutely nothing about. I am a musician / songwriter with an interest
in recording my own music. This was meant in humble deference and
respect to those that have 40 years of experience as solely audio
technicians.

I am truly appreciative of your help. Best to you all Jason